NJ PAAD and Senior Gold for Additional Assistance
When you turn 65 and are enrolled in Medicare, you may notice that prescription drug copays can still be very high. New Jersey Pharmaceutical Assistance to the Aged and Disabled Program (NJ PAAD) and Senior Gold are two programs that help NJ residents with limited incomes with these expenses.
What Are NJ PAAD and Senior Gold?
These two programs exist to assist with prescription drug costs to Medicare recipients in New Jersey.
- NJ PAAD assists in prescription costs, co-pays, and the monthly premium for specific Medicare Prescription Drug plans (Part D) and Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C). PAAD recipients won’t pay more than $5 for generic drugs and $7 for brand name drugs.
- Senior Gold gives a discounts on any medication with a copay higher than $15 and lowers the out of pocket amount you need to pay before qualifying for the catastrophic phase of Part D prescription coverage.
How Do I Qualify?
NJ PAAD and Senior Gold are very similar forms of Medicare help, but they do each have slightly different qualifications that you must meet.
- ASSETS DO NOT COUNT IN QUALIFYING FOR EITHER PROGRAM!
NJ PAAD's main requirement is annual adjusted gross income (which includes Social Security benefits). In 2023, the income requirements are as follows:
- File single - less than $42,142
- File Jointly with a Spouse - less than $49,209
Senior Gold's main requirement is annual adjusted gross income (which includes Social Security benefits). In 2023, the income requirements are as follows:
- File single- less than $52,142
- File with a Spouse - less than $59,209.
Additional Requirements for NJ PAAD & Senior Gold:
- You must be a resident of New Jersey.
- You must be enrolled or enroll in a Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan or Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C). The state will pay for certain Medicare Prescription Drug plans (Part D) or help pay the monthly premium on Medicare Advantage plans (Part C).
- You are enrolled in Medicare Parts A and/or B.
- You are not enrolled in Medicaid.
You can download a paper application for the NJ PAAD and Senior Gold Program by clicking here or apply online using the NJSave Application. The fax number to submit a completed application along with supporting documentation for the NJ PAAD or Senior Gold application is 1-609-588-7122.